Thursday, June 21, 2012

Books to help prepare your toddler for birth and a new baby

Weeks before my due date I started loading up books to keep E busy (and me sane from not reading the same thing over and over again). Many of these books were focused on our impending new arrival.  I was really happy with the selection I found at the Ottawa Public Library. Here are some of the books we borrowed that I would recommend for your toddler.
Welcome With Love
Welcome With Love by Jenni Overend

Welcome With Love is the only home birth book I could find.  I love the pictures and how the story is written from one of the children's (the youngest in the family) points of view. It shows pictures of the Father supporting the Mother which I loved and refer to a midwife which was perfect for our plans. And I love how at the end of the story the family all curl up together by the fire place - similar to how our very own story happened! If you are planning a home birth this is a beautiful book.



Hello Baby!
Hello Baby! by Lizzy Rockwell


My Mom's Having a Baby!: A Kid's Month-by-Month Guide to Pregnancy
My Mom's Having a Baby! by Dori Hillestad Butler


 
Hello Baby! and My Mom's Having a Baby! were really cute and great for E's age (3). They explain the stages of pregnancy and show pictures of the baby developing in Mother's belly. They were slightly confusing for E because the stories are based on the Mother's visiting the Doctor/OB and going to the hospital to give birth but they would be perfect for others in this situation ( I just changed the wording).
Baby on the Way (Sears Children's Library)
Baby on the Way by William and Martha Sears
What Baby Needs (Sears Children's Library)
What Baby Needs by William and Martha Sears
I had no idea that William and Martha Sears wrote children books too! These are awesome books to help teach children about pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding.  They sparked a lot of questions from E, including questions about the umbilical cord and breast milk. I loved watching the wheels turn in his head as I flipped each page. Awesome books! Highly recommend!


Alligator Baby
Alligator Baby by Robert Munsch
There were a few other books that I returned that weren't age appropriate. I also picked up some books that were just for fun, like Alligator Baby by Robert Munsch. One book that looked awesome that I found online and wasn't available at the library was a book called, We're Having a Homebirth by Kelly Mochel. It has great reviews and is featured in one of the home birth videos I loved and watched the most, titled Born at Home. If you get a chance to order that book, I bet it is awesome!

E and I are big readers. We love going to the library and I love to pick up books on topics that currently interest him. It was only natural for us to read up on birth and baby before the event and I really believe it helped him understand, prepare for and picture it all. Now, if they only wrote a picture book for Mommy and Daddy to prepare us for the adjustment period our toddler would have to not being our one and only anymore, we would be set! 

No comments:

Post a Comment